Unfortunately, yes the VA can take away your disability rating. Generally, the VA takes away ratings because:
- The veteran’s service-connected condition has improved.
- The veteran was receiving TDIU benefits and went back to work.
- The veteran’s cancer has gone away and treatment is no longer needed.
- The VA made a mistake. Veterans can appeal if a rating is taken away.
- The VA ordered a reexamination and found the veteran’s ratings incorrect.
Learn more about why the VA reduces ratings here: