1. First, you want to file a Notice of Disagreement (NOD) with the VA.
2. Your NOD is the way you let the VA know you intend to file a formal appeal at a later date.
3. The NOD must be filed with one year of your decision. This date can be found on your Rating Decision letter.
4. You do not have to include specifics about your appeal’s legal strategy on your NOD.
5. If you waited longer than one year to file your NOD, you can file a new claim.
If you want to get your appeal started with a certified VA disability lawyer, read more here: