Serious Bleeding Can Occur
The FDA recently began evaluating reports that serious bleeding is more common in patients using Pradaxa than in patients using other blood thinners. Boehringer Ingelheim, the maker of Pradaxa, has reported 260 fatal bleeding events related to Pradaxa between March 2008 and October 2011.
People at the highest risk for abnormal bleeding from Pradaxa use include people who:
- are 75 years old or older,
- have existing kidney problems,
- have stomach bleeding or an ulcer,
- or are taking other drugs that increase the risk of bleeding, including aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and other blood thinners.
Symptoms to Notice
Pradaxa users should call their doctors immediately if they notice any of the following symptoms:
- coughing up or vomiting blood,
- frequent nose bleeds,
- heavy menstrual bleeding,
- pink or brown urine,
- and red or black stools.
People taking Pradaxa shouldn’t stop using the drug without first talking to their doctors, as this can increase the risk of having a stroke. It’s also important to notify healthcare professionals about Pradaxa use before having any surgery or dental procedures.
Pradaxa Injury Help
If you or a loved one has taken Pradaxa and suffered from severe bleeding resulting in hospitalization, or if a loved one died from cerebral hemorrhage or other life-threatening bleeding event, you need the help of a Pradaxa drug injury lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation. Call us or complete a free case evaluation form today. We want to help.
Pradaxa May Have Caused Severe Bleeding, Gastrointestinal Bleeds, and Cerebral Hemorrhaging
Pradaxa is a blood thinner that may cause severe bleeding, including gastrointestinal bleeds and cerebral hemorrhaging. Pradaxa is designed to help the body fight clots. Some Pradaxa lawsuits believe that Pradaxa puts its users at an increased risk for irreversible bleeds. Unlike other drugs on the market, Pradaxa has no antidote to reverse its anti-clotting effects. Symptoms from other drugs on the market can be reversed simply with a dose of vitamin K.
For a free legal consultation on Pradaxa injuries, simply fill out the online contact form or call 1-866-232-5777.
Compensation for Pradaxa Injuries
Victims of Pradaxa may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, or possibly the loss of a loved one. There are many things that can effect your compensation from Pradaxa lawsuits, such as:
- The extent and duration of the injury from Pradaxa.
- The effect that the Pradaxa injury had on the overall physical and mental health or well-being of the plaintiff.
- The pain and mental anguish suffered in the past and which will likely be suffered in the future.
- The amount of any past or future medical expenses caused by Pradaxa use.
- Any lost wages or loss of earning capacity.
- The losses suffered by the surviving family members will also be considered.
Get the Legal Help You Deserve
Woods & Woods is a national law firm that has fought for our injured clients since 1985. We partner with law firms around the country to best serve our clients needs. If you think you or a loved one may have been injured by Pradaxa, call us for a free legal consultation at 1-866-232-5777. Or simply fill out the online contact form.